Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hundreds and Cleans...

One of the coaches Jack just outlined his new focus (here) part of which included the 'hundred' workouts.  The idea is doing 100 reps of 'something' for time to improve the movement which I think works well as the focus on proper technique as you begin to get tired is what reinforces that movement.  So, I decided to try and join him for these/ do them on my own in areas that I need improvement.

Last night was the first night of these - I didn't know what I was going to do when I arrived at the box but figured I'd do pull-ups or box jumps depending on the workout but after chatting with Match and him demonstrating/ assisting me to try one 'skin the cat' I decided that I should work on toes to bar (or in my current case knees to chest).  I really struggle with this movement and need to focus on engaging my core.  I did 100 reps - the first 10 were together then some groups of 5 but then down to reps of 3's.  It was not only hard on my abs it was also hard on my hands.  I got through them all in a time of 11:10 (first 50 were just over 4 minutes so I dropped off time wise in the second half).  I didn't feel too bad yesterday but today my abs are sore.

I like the idea of the 100's so I'm going to continue.  I started a list of these workouts on my PR page that I'm going to try and get done over the coming weeks.  Thanks Jack for the inspiration!

We also started a new 4 week cycle at the box where Match will focus on the training breaking it up into one week each of skills, strength, power and endurance/ recovery.  This week was skills - cleans for the first 20 minutes of the workout - focusing on good technique doing reps with 18kg.  It felt pretty good and I need mostly to focus on keeping the bar close to my body especially when I'm putting it back down.

WOD #1
5 rounds for time -
8 power cleans (30/45kg)
9 burpee bar hops
10 box jumps
11:59 (23kg, 20" box)

I used 28kg for the cleans which I was a bit hesitant about at first but worked really well.  I was doing 2 sets of 4 for the last couple of rounds which was good.  In focusing on keeping the bar close to my body on the way down I managed to both drop it on my knee at one point and also scrape it down my shin at another - crossfit battle wounds.  Edit - nice bruises on *both* knees, scrape down my shin and other ‘marks’ on my thigh… heh

The burpees really sucked as they always do - 100 burpee workout is definitely on my list, maybe that will help.

The box jumps were (almost) fun.  They are getting better at least.  I was racing the clock on the last round - trying to get in before 12 minutes when I slipped on one of the jumps - only one foot made it to the top.  I thought at that point that I wouldn't make it but I pushed through the last 6 which killed and I did it with a second to spare.  Afterwards though I was really overheating and had to go sit outside.  I am going to melt this summer!

It was a fun workout - I'm liking the focused pieces as well.  I think we can all benefit from good technique and all need to be reminded of it at times so this 'cycle' will be a good thing to reinforce this.

No comments:

Post a Comment