Thursday, October 13, 2011

Shoulders!!!

Today was a tough day on the shoulders, not for weight but rather for fatigue...  lots of overhead weight holding.

WOD #1
5 x 3 deadlifts
30-40-45-50-55-60
60kg final weight

I didn't really know what I'd be able to do here.  I can do more than 60kg but as that was already my 6th attempt I didn't go higher.  Next time I need to be confident enough to start higher.  I really liked the alternate grip (one hand forward the other backward) and could really feel a difference at the higher weight - something to keep in mind for next time.

WOD # 2:
3 rounds for time -
20 KB circles (24/32kg)
20 overhead bumper sit-ups
200m overhead bumper carry – on the spot, 5 air squat penalty for every time you put it down!
 9:35 (20kg KB, 5kg plate)

This was all about the shoulders - especially with the penalty for putting the plate down on the 200m walk (strict walk, no running allowed).  I was determined to not put the plate down at all which was a crazy struggle on round 3 but more mental than anything - another post about that coming up.

A few times I lost my momentum on the KB circles, was constant on the weighted situps and determined on the 200m walks.  I enjoyed this workout.

Afterward I was just playing around.  Did a handstand walk to the first wooden strip in the box but knew I wasn't going to get much more.  I'm pretty solid though now and can stay up on my hands but still need to work on generating forward momentum when I get stuck vertically.

Also did some pull-ups to practice kipping.  I used the red band and managed 5 consecutive pull-ups which was awesome as I have now jumped from using a combo of blue/orange to just red though they're tough.  Practice, practice!  I love new skills and seeing progress.

It was also fun just being Dom and I - quiet/calm workout. 

Dom and I doing KB circles - Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment