Thursday, October 27, 2011

10/26 - a repeat... kinda...

Skills: 6 sets of 10 beat kicks on the bars

This was fun though quite painful on my hands - might need to consider gloves (will be fully determined after Murph on Friday).  Was good practice for kipping and tied back into the 'dish' moves we practiced on Monday.  Really feel the difference when staying strong through the core.  Should help for Friday's Murph (yes, Murph is fully on my mind)  

WOD #2
21-15-9
Squat cleans (45/60kg)
Box jumps (20/24″)
11:02 (18kg, 20" box)

This workout was quite painful after the hill sprints on Tuesday night - definitely could feel my quads screaming at the bottom of the squat cleans.  I started out with 23kg - did the first 21 reps with that but then dropped down to 18kg for the next two rounds.  There really was no point in staying with the higher weight as I was starting to sacrifice form at the bottom of the squat - plus, with Murph on friday...

I did all the box jumps as jumps - no more stepping up for me (yay! progress!) but again, felt the tired/soreness of the previous night.  It was a harder workout than it looked.

Got to the box early and played around on the rings with Jack and Pete.  Their gymnastics certification
 has really bumped up their coaching on these new skills and they were able to give me some things to work on to gain shoulder strength for ring movements. The new movement is to stand with my arms fully extended holding the rings and then lift my arms above my head/ moving my body forward ensure I keep my arms fully straight and the 'dish' form of my body.  Definitely feel it in the shoulders.  The other movement is more ring rows.  I played around a bit trying to get into the ring dip position which I managed to do today (improvement over monday) but still can't lock out my arms.  Practice, practice, practice.

Murph on friday as it's a public holiday here and therefore only morning sessions (8am and 9am due to numbers).  For those that don't know Murph is one of the hero workouts and consists of:

1 mile (1.6km) run
100 pull-ups
200 push-ups
300 squats
1 mile (1.6km) run

Start and end with the run, the pull-ups, push-ups and squats can be broken down however you wish.  I'm hoping to do the pull-ups with only the red band.  The push-ups will probably be from my knees.  We have the option to scale this but I'm going to do the entire thing - no matter how long it takes - just to prove to myself that I can.  Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment