Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sometimes it's just mental... aka What I Learned at Crossfit Tonight

Sometimes it’s just mental.  Motivation over struggle, determination over pain.  This is what I learned tonight.  I knew my shoulders were going to burn, could tell just by looking at the board – overhead weighted situps, 200m weighted overhead walk – back to back – three times each?  Crazy.   My muscles were crying before it even started but I was focused.  Less than 10 minutes, that’s all it’d be.  10 minutes of time – penalties for putting the weight down – I wouldn’t have it.  The burn started on the first set – out the door to start the walk – trying to find a comfortable position holding the plate overhead – 5kg – walk faster, no running – each step one more closer to being finished, to dropping the weight.  To the fence, turn around – half way there – Dom close on my heels – keep in front.  Kirst was waiting as we got back to the door – did you put it down she asked – no way!  And the determination set in a little bit more.  I didn’t and I won’t. 

Round 2 – I realized I was counting my steps – for no reason – one, two, twenty, thirty, one hundred – still going.  Turnaround.  Starting over – one, two…  Slight movements in my arms – a little bit farther back, slightly bent, locked.  Small adjustments to ease the pain.  Mental.  Fighting through the ache – the tension.  Back to the box, success.

Round 3 – More counting – more focus.  Concrete.  Cars.  With each breath I wanted to drop the plate but I didn’t want to lose time, didn’t want to stop moving forward.  Everything within me wanted that final round to be unbroken, every fibre of every muscle screaming, but just a few more steps, everyone closer to the end.  Think positive – think proud.  Resolved.

I made it through all three rounds – 600m of intensity, throbbing shoulders, stronger shoulders.  And it wasn’t the weight that made them stronger tonight, it was my mind.  Resolute, unwavering.  Mental strength.  Sometimes it is just mental.

*I find there are two ways to look at a situation - from either a positive or a negative viewpoint.  If you look at things from a negative viewpoint you're already giving up.  You've already set yourself up for failure.  If you focus on the positive - on seeking a new, different way of approaching things you can battle through it - your mind can win out.  If you tell yourself you're going to do something you will.  You can tell yourself you're going to succeed or you can tell yourself you're going to fail.  What are you going to tell yourself today? 

also worth checking out - Crossfit Journal - Training the Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment