Tuesday, October 25, 2011

10/25 oh my quads... and an awesome run

Felt like I needed to use up a little energy all afternoon so was thinking of making a little WOD for myself at the park near my house for after work.  This is how it went...

WOD #1
5 rounds
run downhill
10 box jumps (approx. 10" wall)
10 dips (on same wall)
run up hill
10 up and overs*
16:23

The up and overs were on this little memorial wall - it was above my waist so I had to use my arms to push up like getting out of a pool and then lift my legs over one at a time til both feet were on the bench on the other side then jump back - that was one rep - so 5 on each side each set.  Only one minor injury from this when I decided to scrape my shin on the wall on the way back over on the 4th set.  Ouch!

The hill was insane!  Stole a picture off of google (below) but that's not quite from the bottom - I need to go and take a picture one day.  Anyway, the rest was basically the run down, the box jumps weren't so bad and the dips always good pretty quick leaving not much rest before trudging back up with burning quads.  Hard but I did it which was awesome.

WOD #2
Run
29:10

Was only planning on a short run over to the other park where the monkey bars are not surrounded by sand but once I started going I had that free feeling again like last night so I kept going, turning right instead of left.  I followed mostly the same route as a few Saturday's ago though this time I was on my own (and without music**) but still fought the urge to stop and walk.  Actually, I didn't have the urge as strongly this time, it was there but easily pushed aside.  It helped that a fireman I passed said 'nice work, good job' as I passed him so that gave me a little extra bounce at the point where last time I was dying to walk.  It was a pleasant evening for a run, slightly overcast, cool(ish). And most importantly peaceful.

**This was the longest/ farthest I have run in as far as I can remember (ever?) alone WITHOUT music.  When I was training for the half marathon my ipod was almost more important on the packing list than my shoes so that tells you a lot.  I was walking over to the park and I though I should have brought it but wasn't about to turn back to get it and it was actually quiet on my run.  Sure, for the first bit my head was all over the place (usually why I need to drown out my thoughts with music) but today, it got quiet and it was perfect.  Listening to my breathing and the sound of my feet on the pavement.  Perfect. 

The Hill... (not my photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment