Wednesday, May 2, 2012

5/1 - "Snatch"

Week three of our Olympic Lifting Sessions with Luke.  I felt okay going into this though a little tired from the WOD and shoulders were still unhappy - hoping to get that fixed up tonight.

Warmup
3 minutes skipping
then:
barbell snatch complex (3 rounds of 3 reps):

  • Hang-shrug
  • Hang-shrug high pull
  • Hang muscle snatch
  • Snatch press
  • OHS (hold at bottom for 2-3 seconds)
I like the routine and how the group responds - we get right down to things and move seamlessly through it - some of faster than others...

5x hang snatch (20/20/23/23kg)
1x snatch/ 5x OHS (23/25.5/28kg)
2 reps of 1x power snatch/ 1x hang snatch/ 1x OHS (23/23/25.5kg)
2x snatch grip deadlift (40/50/60/70kg)
2x snatch (28/28/33/33/35.5/28/28kg)

Not much to comment on here, just some highlights (progress/ practice):
-I have stopped jumping backwards and now jump up (mostly) because I've brought my shoulders out over the bar rather than being vertical on the start (technical I know) - Progress!
-I'm not comfortable with the OHS - my shoulders feel all kinds of weird overhead though at the end Luke told me to look at my hands - they were closer than should they should be for a snatch so this should help - Practice, practice, practice!

-I threw the bar over my head on one of the snatch attempts - I couldn't catch it and bailed it behind me - was the first time I'd done this and realized it's not so bad - that being said my confidence was a little shaken on the next lift - Practice!
-I love snatch grip deadlifts as much as normal grip deadlifts - feels strong - Progress.
-I need more confidence dropping under the bar and knowing my arms will lock out - I'm jumping wider than I should be because I'm afraid and it's making me lose my balance - Practice.

Going to get some needling done on my shoulders tonight so hopefully that helps with some of my mobility issues.  I notice that over the past week or so I've been compensating for shoulder pain in some very weird ways (hello bruised shoulder) so I need to get on this asap as I don't want to develop any bad habits.

This is the madness of my workout log

No comments:

Post a Comment