Wednesday, May 16, 2012

5/15 - six pack?

If it's possible to achieve a six-pack in a day I'm well on my way... did the iWod again tonight and it hurt.  Was a good solid chipper (Coach Pete's birthday WOD) but with my altered movements there were some solid sections of cardio and abs rather than the legs, abs, arms format that was intended.

iWOD
30 lateral box jumps (side to side over box) - 20" (instead of deadlifts)
30 cockroaches
90 double unders (instead of 30 pull-ups)
30 air squats (butt to bar)
30 ab mat situps with plate (on chest) - 10kg
30 toes to bar (on ground) (instead of push-ups)
30 russian twists - 10kg
hollow body hold* (instead of kb swings)
14:21** (11:49)

I'll get back to the beginning in a moment but want to clarify the *'s first.
*initially when re-programming the WOD Pete had suggested that I accumulate a total of 1 minute of hollow body hold.  As I was about to start this Coach Match noticed that Pete (who was doing the WOD with us) was just about to start his KB swings (the last movement which I substituted hollow body for) and told me to hold the hollow body while Pete was swinging his KB and only rest when he did.  I finished the russian twists at 11:49 and then spent the better part of the next 2.5 minutes doing hollow body - it hurt.  A lot.  The funniest part of this was that Pete had no idea that this had turned into a 'partner' wod at this point.  Heh.  My time is identical to Pete's because of this last portion of work.  Fun but my abs were screaming at this point.

I haven't done a chipper in a long time so that was fun.  The lateral box jumps were hard and scary - almost scrapped up my shins a few times jumping sideways high enough onto the box.  Kept a steady pace through these but definitely got my heart rate up.

The cockroaches although quick to get through also kept my heart racing which didn't help when I progressed into the double-unders.  My sets were 30-20-20-10-10 because I was breathing so hard.  Cardio heavy portion of the wod complete.

The air squats initially felt a little odd as you had to drop a bit lower than just below hip crease to hit the bar.  Once your body had an idea of where this was they then felt pretty solid.  Managed to get through them pretty steadily with just a few breaks to shake out my legs which were already hurting from all the jumping the night before.

Next up was the ab heavy portion of the wod (for me).  The ab mat sit ups were suddenly much hard with 10kg on your chest (versus no additional weight at all) but I kept at it with a few quick breaks.  The harder part was then transitioning to the toes to bar while my abs were already screaming.  It definitely kicked it into another level - same muscles reversed movement.  Ouch!  After these the russian twists weren't too bad - quickly through them and then the hollow body as noted above... Coach Match was hardcore as well telling me to keep my legs straight - that it'd hurt but be so good for me...  I tried as best I could but Pete is a beast breaking out solid sets of the 32kg KB swings (three sets of 10 maybe?).  Mentally I went between wanting him to finish faster and wanting him to drop the kb so I could rest.  So hard not knowing what rep he was even on.  Fun though - it's what makes us better in the end.

Rest day today.  Shoulder is slowly getting better but not going to rush back into anything.  I need to be smart with this even as I fight wanting to do more and knowing I shouldn't.  More on this in another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment