Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Paleo Banana Walnut Chocolate Muffins


The latest paleo recipe that I tried. Noticed that I have another similar recipe that includes almond butter but I much prefered this version. They are lighter and bundles of bite sized goodness. I was quite amused after Pete and Tim had tried them and Pete's first question was 'are those paleo?'... see - eating healthy can also be tasty!

I don't know the source of the original recipe (sorry), my changes/ additions are in bold.

Paleo Banana Walnut Pecan Chocolate Muffins

Ingredients:
2 ripe bananas (I just used the ones I had - probably about 6 or so small ones and added more almond flour/ coconut at the end to make up to muffin consistency)
2-1/4 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 TBSP cinnamon (sadly I forgot this)
4 TBSP coconut oil (approximated as mine was solid)
3 eggs
tsp vanilla
1 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips (used dark chocolate chips but can also coarsely chop up a dark chocolate bar)
1 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans and approximated based on what looked tasty to me)
1/4 cup (approx.) flax seeds
1/2 cup (approx.) coconut flakes

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a large bowl mash bananas with a fork
add eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla, mix
whisk to get rid of any large chunks
I'm lazy so the bananas, eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla went into the blender until smooth
In a smaller bowl combine the dry ingredients (almond flour, baking soda, and cinnamon)
Slowly stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until fully mixed.
I added wet into the bowl of dry ingredients and mixed with a fork - I then added a bit more almond meal and coconut because I had excess bananas (it's all very scientific - clearly)
mix in Walnuts pecans and chocolate chips
drop spoonfuls into lined muffin pan
Bake for approx. 15 mins (this was a good time for the mini muffins, the large ones needed another 5 minutes)
Eat!

2 comments: