Monday, December 19, 2011

Saturday Surfski Session...

Becoming a weekly habit now with the nice weather and (slightly increased) confidence for me to get out on my ski at least once on a weekend - Christmas morning surfski session? Definitely...

This past weekend was another great outing in that I managed to stay upright and venture beyond my normal turnaround point - I still stuck to the river and close to shore but went from East Freo to Stirling Bridge - around the piling - and back... my shoulder was starting to get a little sore at the turnaround so I didn't venture any further than back to where I was parked. 

I love being on my ski - when I am it's my sole focus - no time for my mind to wander elsewhere except perhaps brief thoughts of MJ and Shane who have both provided me with tips to my new adventures.  I think by the time I left Vancouver I could paddle my outrigger and think of many wonderous things but if I do in my ski I'm swimming... lesson learned.

A few other lessons I learned/ focused on this weekend as well - skills learned from both crossfit and yoga - is to a) not have death grip on my paddle which I often tend to do when in a bunch of messy water and trying to balance - tension is *not* good... and speaking of tension b) relaxing my face (thanks yoga) because this is a clear indicator of when my body is tensing up/ resisting what it needs to do - a little relaxation and I can easily let the water move under me and c) relax my shoulders - shoulder blades down and back (again yoga) rather than scrunched up towards me ears... those three little things really help me with my stability and flow...  I do feel stronger, quite stable until I see the wake from all the boats - messy water - and it gives me pause, I hesitate and brace rather than feeling strong and paddling right through which would help with my stability but baby steps right?

No comments:

Post a Comment