Wednesday, April 11, 2012

4/11 - it's been a while...

It's been a while since I've had any workout to write about.  It was a blissfully relaxed 4 day long weekend where I thought about doing a WOD on Monday but woke up with a foot telling me it'd be better to take another day off than to jump on it and I didn't argue.  I needed the break, lots of sleep, lots of sunshine, lots of walking and photo taking and just enjoying life.  Oh, and there was popcorn.  Too much popcorn.  It happens.

Last night was back to crossfit... lingering aches and pains aside my body was feeling alright which was good considering the WOD Coach Match had programmed for us. 

WOD
3 rounds
5 front squats (45/60kg)
10 pull-ups
5 deadlifts (45/60kg)
10 toes to bar
5 push jerks (45/60kg)
10 hand release push-ups
14:48 - 33kg bar, Rx pull-ups, Rx t2b

For the month of April our box is not recording weights or scaling on the white board with the intent to encourage us to push ourselves in terms of the weights we choose, etc. rather than relying on a weight that perhaps someone in an earlier group used (I admit, I always do this)... it was interesting though I'm starting to get a better feel for how heavy I can go based on how my body is feeling and how many reps we have to do, etc.  My shoulders still aren't happy with the overhead movements (massage Thursday, yay!) so I held back a bit on the weight because I knew the push jerks were going to be challenging.

Once again I had a little pre-WOD chat with Coach Pete who told me last week before "half Cindy" that I'd be better doing less rounds with Rx pull-ups than more overall (paraphrased).  This week again I looked to him for that bit of encouragement I knew I'd need for again going with Rx pull-ups given that there were 10 in a round.  He said if you can do 5 you can do 10 followed by Coach Match's comment of if you can do 1 you can do 100 and Coach Kirst's comment of 10 only being 2 sets of 5 (or in my case 5 sets of 2).  Thanks guys.  I was going for it - I didn't even bother setting up a "just in case" assistance band.

I also did the t2b and push-ups Rx which are both two things I couldn't do two months ago (pre-open workouts) which feels like a great accomplishment.  Like when I was learning DU's - at some point you just have to tell yourself you're going to do the movements Rx and struggle through no matter how long it takes and you'll get better.  I finished last but it didn't even matter.

The lifts were all solid.  I think mostly done in sets of 5 though I had to readjust my grip on the bar for the first set of push jerks - we started with an easy group 300m untimed run before jumping into the WOD (we could start at any movement we wanted and I chose the push jerks) and I was a little too eager to get going that I didn't place my hands equally on the bar and was a little off balance.  Was nice to run as a group though - easy and chatty.

Managed to unfortunately tear the skin off both of my hands (why does this always happen?!?!?)... I think I was compensating on my grip trying to avoid ripping my callouses.  I swear I'd be kick ass on the bar if my hands weren't so dainty... ugh.

After WOD(s)
Sit-up Auction
85 (plus 5) situps
Untimed
1:00 hollow body hold

Not sure how this went but when I got back into the circle there was an auction going on for situps.  I think we started with 50 but somehow jumped up to 80.  Right before the going three times Coach Match added a "bonus" 5 for 85 total for the group.  Ouch!  My abs haven't been doing much lately and they definitely knew it with this one.  Good thing I didn't do "Annie" on Monday as I was thinking.  There was a bonus 5 thrown in as we kept going until the last person finished.  Definitely feeling them today - also jumped in with the 6:15 group and did 1:00 of hollow body holds so yes, my abs are going to be made of steel soon (here's hoping!).

Muscle-Up Skill Practice
Dips (on parallel bars) 3 x 3 with yellow band
Static holds on rings

First UNASSISTED DIP on the parallel bars tonight - managed two.  It was extremely hard - especially the last bit to lock out but I did it and am super excited about it.  Also did 3 sets of 3 with the yellow band - my shoulders are really hurting so the full depth was a little painful and didn't want to push it to 5 reps with the fatigue and tightness.

Had a good chat with Coach Match about things to work on to get the muscle ups.  Lots of dips (without kicking), static holds, etc. and a few times a week which I'm trying to keep on.  Played around on the rings a bit afterwards too.  Coach Pete was helping me - have to work on turning out my hands at the top too to be more solid when I'm locking out.  Was good all around and am so determined to get that muscle up... Coach Tim - when are we playing on the rings together?

No comments:

Post a Comment