Thursday, April 12, 2012

4/11 - taking a(nother) break...

Strength
3-3-3-3 hanging squat cleans
28-38-40.5-40.5(PR!)

New PR! Previous was 30.5kg (hang cleans) or 33kg (squat cleans).  These were good.  I need to be confident when going to the bar on these - it's the fear of the weight that is limiting me at the moment, not the actual weight - that and my hands (more on that below).

Coach Match helped me realize that I only had to drop the bar slightly from the hang position on the 'dip' portion of the movement and drop under it rather than trying to lift it higher.  Was good practice leading into the WOD.

WOD:
21-15-9 (10 minute cut-off)
Cleans (45/60kg)
KB swings (20/32kg)
8:14 (35.5kg barbell, 16kg KB)

Dropped the weight on the KB for this WOD - I know I can do 20kg swings but my shoulder is still acting up and I didn't want to kill it any further - it was a good decision.  The cleans were ok but still took me longer than it should have.

I struggled with this WOD, I don't know how to capture the reasoning behind it - it wasn't entirely mental or physical but a bit of both.  Perhaps a little burnout? I'm not really sure.  I just know that half way through the 21 cleans I just wanted to be done for no other reason than I just didn't want to do it.  I got through it and still pushed myself as much as I could but it was a struggle.

The past few weeks I've been going heavier and Rx-ing a lot of workouts where I can.  I know I've definitely become stronger in some of my skills but I'm struggling with shoulders that are tight and unhappy and I think I just need to focus on not hurting myself right now.  So, I have a massage booked for tonight and will spend the weekend mobilising and taking care of my body which will include getting my eating back on track.

I'm also taking another 4 day break from crossfit.  I just think I need it right now - a bit of a refresher to get my head sorted.  I'm not sure why this WOD was such a mental struggle but it was different than any other and I need to address it - I LOVE crossfit so it's not that but a little break won't hurt.

Next week I'll come back strong into the WODs and with two additional olympic lifting sessions on the schedule (for the next 4 weeks).  I think for me right now it's the right choice to make and what I personally need.

Note - about my hands... I ripped both of my palms during Tuesday's WOD on the bars - I think somehow I was compensating with my grip to avoid ripping my callouses.  Anyway, this hurts - feels like I've scrapped my hands on the pavement - that stinging sensation.  Need to let them heal - cleans and KB swings didn't help yesterday which might have also been part of my struggle.  Anyway... a 4 day break should help.

No comments:

Post a Comment