Monday, April 23, 2012

4/20 - "Clean and Jerks"

First session of clean and jerks (CJ) with Luke.  Was another good one.

I partnered up with Coach Kirst and we had fun going at this (even with Fran still haunting our muscles from earlier in the day)

3x3 hang clean to clean press (13/18/18kg)
3x4 front squat to split jerk (18/23/28kg)
4x3 power clean (28/33/38/40kg)
5x2 squat clean and jerk (28/33/38/40/42.5*kg)
3x3 clean pulls (42.5/50/55kg)
*only one rep at 42.5

It was great to go through all the phases, as with the Snatch, it was just as hard mentally in this session as it was physically.  Whenever I'd approach the bar I'd have so many different things I was trying to remember/ focus on that I'd have to reset in order to be ready enough to lift.

I struggled a bit initially with the split stance but once Luke came by and made me hold it for what seemed an eternity I started to find my balance and "become comfortable" in it.  I also had a bit more practice staying in the squat position as well which is going to help all around.

My previous squat clean PR was 33kg in February so I smashed that in this one - 42.5kg(PR).  I think that confidence helps as does not having any pressure to be fast or just get things done.  The pacing of these sessions is perfect and working in with a partner gives just enough rest time and also great/ instant feedback on key points.

I need to focus on not jumping backwards on my power cleans.  Better efficiency/power in going straight up obviously.  I also need to practice my splits as sometimes my back foot ends up where it shouldn't - either toes out/ hip too opened or not enough on my toes.  Also, fully locking out on top... definitely practice on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment