Monday, April 16, 2012

4/15 - Sunday WOD...upside down!

After a few days rest (thursday/friday) I was itching for a WOD - I probably would have stopped at the park on my way home from Saturday errands but I wasn't appropriately prepared and once I got home well, it was hard to get motivated again.

What I did do instead was enlist a friend to ensure I got to it on Sunday.  I texted Tim and sure enough (as I suspected) he was game to meet up early - 7:30am early - which in this case worked for me as I was without electricity in my house and had to meet the electrician back at home by 9:30.

We met at the park by Cottesloe beach where they have a bunch of structures for working out including pull up bars, dip stations and conveniently - a poster board with instructions that's perfect for hspu's.  We played around for a bit on the equipment just having fun, warmed up and then decided it was time to WOD.  For the record, however funny, I don't recommend hspu's in the vicinity of a dog that can lick your head when you're upside down.  True story.

Initially Tim suggested some crazy hard ladder of hspu's and pull-ups 15-1, 13-3, 11-5, etc... but we negotiated and changed it up:

WOD
6 rounds
5 hspu
5m handstand walk
5 pull-ups (strict for Tim, kipping for me)
15 second L-sit
26:56

This was a challenging WOD and took a lot longer than I expected it would especially as the hspu's seemed to go pretty quickly each time.  I wasn't getting full depth but probably a few inches from the ground. The handstand walks quickly got very hard especially coming off of the hspu's.  My wrists were feeling it and at times I was only getting 2 or 3 steps before falling over.  Tim went the hard way on these - he was going (slightly) uphill which is why I was able to stay in front of him.

Pull-ups were pretty solid.  I did sets of 3's and 2's mostly which was good. I just have to think of the movement when I get tired to fully get over the bar, there were a couple where I had to have a second little kick to get above the bar.  L-sit holds are getting easier though were a killer on the shoulders here.

It was a lot of fun.  I liked the handstand walks because we (for good reasons) never have them at the box.  I am also happy that I can now do WODs like this at the park and not need a band for pull-ups or have to resort to just jumping them.  I've come a long way from October when I did a WOD with pull-ups with my friend R and had to jump while he did static.  Happy.  Progress.

Coffee afterwards was extremely enjoyable - a great reward.  Will definitely have to do it again - rule is winner buys... haha.

Really hurting today - all across my chest and traps mostly and shoulders.  Am hoping that there is no overhead stuff tonight but I'm sure there will be.  Need to get there early and do a lot of mobilisation.

Such a great morning, thanks Tim!

No comments:

Post a Comment