Monday, April 23, 2012

4/21 - Beach Run

Met up with R for a run Saturday morning - it was a 'recovery' run for him and torture for me.  Ok, perhaps that's too strong a word.  It was however hard.  Initially I was thinking nice easy run along the path beside the beach - my version of running along the beach - but no, I'm in Australia now.

We walked down from his place, our feet touched the sand and we were off.  Within two steps my quads were revolting, no joke.  There was a lot of squatting all week and I definitely felt that.  I kept trying to edge closer down to the water where the sand looked firmer but it really wasn't much easier.  In fact after the wave would recede I'd sink deeper into the sand which was just as tough. 


Halfway down to Swanbourne we had to skirt around some rocks and that was a fun change up - trying to time the incoming waves so as to not get tossed around - I had little energy to try and fight it.  The water was surprisingly warm too - in that 'cools you off but doesn't freeze you' way.  On the way back it was much the same but knowing we were almost done made it a little easier.  Ended up being about 2.5km maybe in total.

I moaned a lot on this run but thankfully R is extremely supportive or just really good at tuning out my voice - or I'm just cute in my sad whinging.  He was encouraging and I ran the whole time albeit not very fast at all. The workout was a bit less cardio than I had expected/wanted as my quads burned but definitely something I should continue to do as it'll only make me stronger.

A quick dip in the ocean afterwards was perfect as was the coffee that was my reward.  Thanks R.

As a note - R had the advantage with his big feet and longer legs - at least that's what I'm going with (it more likely could be the fact that he's crazy fit and can kick my ass in pretty much anything he wants though- I'm eager to get him on my SUP to see if that is in fact all true! Ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment