Wednesday, March 14, 2012

3/13 - running, lots and lots of running...

My body is still tired and I'm so glad today is a rest day.  My lats are killing from Monday's WOD (HSPU's and pull-ups), definitely feeling the soreness and exhaustion kicking in.

WOD
Strength
5-5-5-5 back squat
30-40-50-60

Worked through these with Coach Kirst which was good.  Nice to have someone to push me to go heavier.  She and Coach Match spotted me on the last round so I had even more motivation to get through it though the last rep felt really hard.  Was happy though as this is my current back squat PR.  I knew though that this wasn't going to help in the WOD - my quads were going to pay the price during the runs.

WOD
6 rounds
10 KB swings
20 double-unders
300m run
15:37 (14kg KB, DU's)

I struggled mentally with choosing a KB for this WOD.  With only 10 swings I could have done 20kg but my body was telling me that it probably wasn't the best idea so I dropped down to 14kg which allowed me to go a little faster through the WOD and not entirely kill my shoulders.

My DU's were solid - the first two rounds and the last were unbroken and the middle 2 I think I tripped up once.  It was really hard though as the KB swings weren't long enough to drop your heart rate at all so this was a solid cardio WOD when the DU's also went so fast.

Running is definitely a weakness of mine and we haven't had much running programmed into the WODs the last while because Coach Match is kind enough to let us stay in the air conditioned box when temperatures are hovering near 40 degrees Celsius outside.   I managed to get out the door slightly ahead of Kirst (who was doing 20kg KB swings) each round and knew that she was targeting me on the run every time and I was motivated to go a little harder to stay in front.  This hurt.  As I mentioned we were back in the box for swings and DU's for what felt like mere seconds (less than a minute?) before running again.  It was a solid accomplishment - didn't love it but survived which is sometimes all you can do.

My quads got a bit of a workout in too - after writing my score on the board and stepping down from the box I was on I had jello legs, it was quite funny.  Don't feel it as much today but it might set in a bit later, we'll see. 

I'm happy I listened to my body and went lighter on the swings as I'm feeling all kinds of sore muscles today in my lats (especially) and my shoulders. Dreamed last night of getting a massage so maybe I'll have to line one up, it's most definitely needed right now - any volunteers?  Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment