Thursday, March 22, 2012

3/21 - Yay... toes to bar!

Strength
3-3-3 working sets of clean & press
38kg

Work up to a weight that is hard but doable, then do three sets.  I managed 38kg - this was a clean and press in a smooth motion so while I could have gone heavier I would have paused after the clean before push pressing so I didn't go higher.  Was happy with this weight.  The Open WODs have been great at helping me further skills (see below) and become more confident with heavier weights so that's been great.

WOD
4-8-12-8-4
Toes to bar
Pistols
Burpees
8:50 (Rx, orange band for pistols)

This was a fun WOD - yes I say that even in the face of burpees.  Coach Match asked me how I was feeling after Monday's WOD (90 pullups) since everyone seemed to be sore and I said I was good - that was until we started the warm-up and as we were doing bear walks across the box I felt my shoulders rebel just a bit.

I was excited (strangely) for toes to bar even though my hands are pretty wrecked (need to moisturize more - which I'm currently doing Brenda!).  I learned a ton about this movement in 12.3 thanks to awesome judging/coaching by Coach Tim and was stoked to be getting them in (mostly) sets of 4 for all rounds except the last.  Solid.  I didn't miss a rep either.  I was able to do them without kipping, just staying solid through my core and really focusing on bringing my knees high before flicking up my feet.  Loved it. (except for my hands but I just kept telling myself that they were going to hurt anyway so I might as well get back on the bar).

The pistols were painful for my legs but they are getting better.  Ended up doing one extra burpee as on the transition after the 12 toes to bar I though burpees were next and did one before realizing I'd missed pistols.  Oops.

The burpees were actually what felt like the easy part on this WOD.  Nice and steady (learned from 12.1).  And 12 reps seems like nothing after a solid 7 minutes of them so there's that. 

AfterWOD
500 row / 400m run
4:14 (approx. 2min row, 2:14 400m)

I hate this WOD - we do it every few months and I knew what it was as soon as I walked into the box and saw the (2) rowers lined up.  I very strongly dislike rowing.  I think it goes back to my dragon boating days where we had to do winter training indoors in Toronto because the lake was frozen (and it was freaking cold).  We would have fitness testing where we'd have to row 10 minutes for distance.  It sucked.  I remember those days still as my legs would cramp up so bad when I was done that I couldn't actually stand up.  Hated it every time.  I'm thankful that I can mentally push through 2 minutes for 500m - the first minute is okay and the hurt starts but then you quickly realize that you're half way done and can struggle through.  I was slow starting the run as my hamstrings and glutes revolted and didn't want to move.  Heh.

A note to any of the gals wearing running skirts while rowing - don't - it will snag on the seat and make your life very difficult.  This happened to me a while back and while I warned Brenda to tuck it in apparently that still didn't help as it still came out through the movement.  But still... the lululemon skirts are cute so worth it?  Perhaps.

Open WOD 12.5 tonight... going to learn chest to bar pull-ups apparently - not sure I can do them at all... eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment