Monday, March 26, 2012

New Focus - Muscle Ups by July 1

So now that the Open is over I've decided it's a good time to establish some goals with small definable targets to help me achieve them.

I learned a ton during the open; new skills, untapped strength.  The open wods really pushed me outside my comfort zone and made me realize that I was capable of more than I was doing in my regular workout.  I had never done toes to bar in a workout but did well in 12.3 and have since done them Rx in another box programmed wod.  I didn't even know I could do an unassisted chest to bar pull-up (had never thought to even try) and I did 18 on 12.5 with 3 consecutive even on 12.5 redo.  I PRed on all the weighted movements through the games and with all this new found knowledge I want to keep progressing in leaps and bounds and muscle ups.

So, the target for July* 1st is:
-one full muscle up

Muscle-up Breakdown (how I'll achieve this goal)
deep ring dip by end of next month (April 30 latest)
then aim for 5 the next month (May 31 latest)
1 strict unassisted pull up (April 30)
5 unassisted pullups (May 31)
comfort with false grip

- regular practice on assisted dips through the full range of motion (on parallel bars in the box) - progressing from orange band to unassisted - Mondays will be the day to do 3 sets of 5 dips)
-static ring holds - Tuesday or Wednesdays - accumulate 1 minute of ring holds using false grip (may increase over time)
-strict pullups - 3 sets of 5 strict pullups on Thursdays (may alternate with HSPU's - full range of motion depending on state of my hands - currently not great) - need to progress down from orange (I think) band

This seems like a narrow focus and a simplistic approach but I think if I stick to it I'll be able to see results each week and it will work for me.  I have no excuses to not do the movements before or after wods so if you see me out there hold me accountable or work in with me.

*July will be a year since I've moved to Australia and a year from when I've seen old friends - I'm going back to visit then and want to be in the best shape I can be (we all know the feeling)

1 comment:

  1. yep nice, like it said in the video doing some ring rows and negative muscle ups/assisted will do wonders! good job on the focus, you will get there!

    ReplyDelete