Monday, March 26, 2012

3/25 - 2012 Open WOD 12.5 Redo(?)

So... after two days of rest I was back at the box yesterday to give 12.5 another try.  I had a different plan to approach the workout than the previous one which was every rep was a bonus (considering I didn't think I could do c2b going in).  This time I wanted to rest less on the thrusters - do the 3's and 6's unbroken, go for 5 and 4 and then hopefully 6 and 6 if I got that far (got through those first 6 last go).

Anyway, my plan fell apart quite quickly though I still persevered and learned a ton.

I started strong, 3 thrusters and (woo-hoo) 3 consecutive c2b, 6 solid thrusters and then I fell apart.  I managed the first 3 c2b as either 2 and 1 or all singles, can't quite remember and that was it.  After that I couldn't get any more c2b.  I kept trying for probably 5.5 minutes too.  Coach Kirst was encouraging and helpful and although I was at times getting high enough my chest wouldn't touch.  It was needless to say a little frustrating.  I couldn't figure it out. 

I remember looking at the clock with about 2 minutes remaining and for an instant I thought about giving up right there - I mean I already posted a solid score and knew I wasn't going to come close to it but then just as quickly as the thought entered my mind it disappeared.  Crossfitters don't quit.  And I didn't.  I made a million more attempts (it would be interesting to have counted how many I missed) right until the clock ran out.  I remember seeing 7 seconds left and made one more attempt just trying to get one more to count but alas, not to be.

After a while my arms were getting tired and I had nothing left to pull with for that last bit/ second kick to touch the bar.  I'm glad I did it though.  Glad I gave it a try.  I find it's not often we continue to fail on such a large scale in our WODs - if this had been a general workout (and not the open WOD) after 4 or 5 failed attempts I would have scaled the movement and moved on from there and wouldn't have gotten that 'never' quit lesson.  That perseverance.  The struggle made me stronger.  And that in itself is a reason why I can call this workout a success.  I got better.

No comments:

Post a Comment