Friday, March 23, 2012

3/22 - 2012 Open WOD 12.5

CrossFit Games WOD 12.5
Complete as many reps as possible in 7 minutes following the rep scheme below:
3 Barbell Thrusters (30/45kg)
3 Chest to bar Pull-ups
6 Barbell Thrusters
6 Chest to bar Pull-ups
9 Barbell Thrusters
9 Chest to bar Pull-ups…
This is a timed workout. If you complete the round of 9, go on to 12. If you complete 12, go on to 15, etc.
42 (finished round of 9 plus 6 thrusters)

This was awesome.  I am so happy with how I did given I hadn't done a single unassisted chest to bar pull up before this workout.  Coach Kirst told me to try the mixed grip before the class and I gave it a shot and got one rep which gave me some confidence - don't get me wrong, wasn't pretty at all, lots of extra kicks but I did it which was better than I thought going in.  I was ready.

For the first time I was ready to just tackle the games WOD, I wasn't nervous *until* the clock started beeping... 3-2-1... and then I was off.  For some reason the thrusters felt easy even though my previous max was only 25.5.  Big reflection of the strength I've gained over the past few months with doing 30kg no problem.  Full set of three.

Moved on to the C2B and got the first two consecutively.  I was excited.  One more and it was back to the thrusters.  Coach Match had reminded me to keep my heart rate low, don't rush too much just keep moving steadily so that was a focus.  I busted out all 6 thrusters and then I think I was back to single C2B's but they weren't that hard.  I was using a box to reach the bar rather than jumping and a mixed grip.  I'd complete the rep, drop off the bar and then move to set up for the next one, nice and steady.

I did the 9 thrusters in sets of 3.  And then moved on to the C2B with just under 2 minutes left.  I knew I could complete the round of 9 and that became my focus.  I missed one rep - I think the 7th which put a bit more pressure on me but I was steady, drop down and right back up, no wasted time.  I managed to finish with about 20 or so seconds left and got right on the bar - busted out 6 straight thrusters before time elapsed.

Note - when trying to get reps done quickly - get your head out of the way - on the first thruster of the last set I pushed the bar right into my chin... ouch!  Thankfully no bruise today - *that* would be hard to explain.  Heh.

I was stoked with this wod.  I can't really convey how happy this made me.  The excitement was amazing.  I still have a smile on my face.

I realized afterwards that my approach to this WOD was different than so many others where I have a target score or time, etc.  For this one I didn't have that pressure since I didn't think I could do C2B so every one I got were a bonus.  I wasn't focused on the clock until the last 2 minutes when I knew I could likely get the 9 C2B completed but that was about it.  I was just focused on staying steady and keeping moving.  My heart wasn't trying to bust out of my chest but I was focused.  Different mentality and I loved it.

Like I said, super happy with this.  Was doing my little awkward dance after the class.  Coach Match also told me that I'm done with bands for pull-ups...uh-oh.  Not sure I'm ready for *that* just yet.  But progress... definitely progress.  Practice, practice, practice.

After WOD
3 rounds
15 KB SDHP
10 single-arm KB swings
KB shuttle run
2:57 (16kg KB)

This was a fun little after-wod.  My hands were pretty beat up and I had to be a little careful on the one armed swings but happily I didn't tear any skin (really need to moisturize - reminder!).  Kept at this steadily without stopping which really helped.

Great day at the box.  Super happy with being able to see my progress (I couldn't for a while) and also thankful for the open wods which helped me in so many ways (more on that to come in another post).

No comments:

Post a Comment