Thursday, March 8, 2012

3/7 - more KB's and DU's

WOD
3 rounds -
10 deadlifts (50/80kg)
30 double-unders
15 box jumps (20/24″)
6:32 Rx

Coach Match is gearing us up for the next three open WOD's which are sure to include double unders and box jumps (confirmed as part of 12.3 today).  This was a fun little WOD.  I didn't feel the burn so much in my quads going from the deadlifts to the DU's as I recall from doing this combination in the past - perhaps because my DU's are so much better or because my legs just felt pretty rested having been doing more overhead upper body stuff lately.

That being said the box jumps were a killer - my heart rate was high after the DU's so that transition was tough.  I tried to get the first jump in immediately after finishing the DU's which was good for me - tough but something I have to get better at (getting right onto the next movement without rest).  I tried to do sets of 3 or so though I can't yet land on the ground and jump right back up again (I need to reset and then go), I did jump all of them (up and down) - the pause at the top to fully extended (competition style) takes a bit of getting used to though in terms of timing.  Good practice though and loving the new shoes a ton!

AfterWOD
2 min KB swings – score = kgs x reps
36 x 20kg = 720

This one hurt a lot.  I'm tired of throwing heavy things over my head.  Monday - 12.2 Snatches, Tuesday WOD - KB swings (at 20kg), yesterday - more KB swings (at 20kg).  Of course 12.3 gets released today (doing this for the first time tonight) and it's push presses (will be a new PR - 35kg overhead).  Ugh.  Anyway, I didn't beat my previous max for this WOD which was 51 swings at 16kg (816 total) but I'm okay with it.  I did as many as I could do and at a higher weight this time.  The biggest difference though between the 16kg KB and the 20kg KB for me is that I can muscle the 16kg right over head on the first go where with the 20kg I need at least a half swing (two last night) to get the momentum to get it overhead... so once I can get it directly overhead I'll have 10 more reps on my score... my reps broke down as follows: 15-10-6-5.  I'm really happy I got 15 on the first set as the previous night during the WOD doing 10 was killing me.

Getting ready for tonight - mentally set (though physically tired).  Will give this one a go once, get familiar with how it feels and probably rest Friday and do it again on Saturday morning.  Ready for more PRs!

No comments:

Post a Comment