Wednesday, July 3, 2013

7/2 – The Push of Going Second


Back at the box tonight – the WOD didn’t look too bad to get me moving again after the comp on the weekend.  Monday was spent sleeping in and chilling out and barely moving – my back was still pretty messed up, made me feel like I was 100 years old.  Still a little sore getting to Southern and even moreso as we progressed through the warm-up – hello back extensions (ouch) and demo-ing KB CJ’s (at least it was only 12kg).  But I survived that and then we partnered up for the WOD

WOD
12-9-6-9-12
Pull-ups
Sit-ups
100m run
7:30ish*

*battery was dead on the gym clock from the weekend so although the coaches still timed us with stopwatches I have no idea how long it took me, somewhere around 7:30 I think.  I don’t really care, just wanted to do it.

Partnered up with Naydine (yay!) who when asked the million dollar question ‘do you want to go first or second?’ responded with the only right answer there could ever be ‘first!’.  I usually hate going second mostly because you see full on how hard the WOD is and specifically where.  Knowing that you still have to follow that is often hard though at times can be a bonus if you figure out a better strategy (though not usually the case with the gals I train with).  Anyway, no biggie – I think part of me was okay with this underneath it all because I really had no desire to do much of anything (laziness full on).

Naydine rocked it – she was worried about her pull-ups before starting then busted out 6 solids ones to start.  She kept up the big sets throughout setting the bar high for my turn – hence the title of this post ‘the push of going second’ she really made me up my game – not because of the competitiveness of it all but because I do want to be better and doing so will make me better.

When it was my turn I started the same – 6 pull-ups then another 6 (I think) before staying solid on the pull-ups and hitting the run – my run pace was nothing extraordinary (thankfully it was only 100m) – it was solid but not speedy by any means.  I kept up the big sets for the pull-ups even when my kip began to waver – not staying tight in my shoulders.  Pushed through and finished up solidly – or what felt solid on the day.

One of the guys started cheering me on toward the end – half way through the sit-ups he made a comment ‘you know you’re better than that, go faster’ or something like that and for some reason it really struck me the wrong way.  It wasn’t positive at all and for how I was feeling it was the best that I had.  Talked to him afterward which was good – we all have different things we respond to and I really noted in that moment how the negativity actually wanted to make me quit maybe on any other day it would have been fine but I was tired and sore.  Anyway, move on, no big deal.  Live and learn right?

Spent a bunch of time mobilizing after – going to be a big focus on that this week to get everything back into working order.  Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment