Wednesday, July 10, 2013

7/9 – Testing Week Continues



And so we continue on with testing week – the one that we did back in April.  It’s fun to compare the results though I didn’t actually do tonight’s WOD the last go around.  Here’s my chance.

WOD #1
400m run/row
1:25

It was raining so we all rowed.  I asked Hayden why we didn’t run in the rain later on and he pointed to the flooded street out front.  Good call Coach.  Never noticed this before.  It was pretty much a lake and I kind of feared a bit for my car stalling out as I was leaving the box.  Why is my life enveloped in flooding right now (two Canadian cities are under water, ugh).

The row was good.  I was thinking about 1:30 going into it and managed to hold under 1:50/500m split throughout though I was definitely feeling it in my legs – my hammies were still tight from all the squats the night before.  I also had a higher stroke rate that I’d have preferred – it was over 30 the entire way indicating that I wasn’t being as efficient as I could be though that being said, if I can get my split to drop at the (slightly) higher stroke rate then I can then focus on lowering the stroke rate at the same speed.  Give and take.

WOD #2
12-9-6
Power cleans (60/42.5kg)
50 unbroken DU’s
5:45 (42.5kg, broken DU’s)

Started on this one thinking the power cleans would be heavy though they didn’t feel too bad (as Brendo noted – the weight gets lighter as soon as 3-2-1-Go… is called – truth).  I did 7 and 5 on the first set, 5-4 and then 6 unbroken (ouch).  I also planned to go for unbroken DU’s as I’ve done 50 unbroken twice in the past week, I started out on the first set and had to struggle to hang on from 40 onward and tripped up at 47.  Argh…  this definitely took a lot out of me and I knew from then on that I wouldn’t be going unbroken – my shoulders (from HSPU’s) and forearms were screaming already so I bailed out of the ‘unbroken’ at that point but continued on at that point starting my DU’s at zero.  Did about 35 then finished off before hitting the cleans again.  I did managed to do most of the first two sets of cleans with a hook grip though – improvement right there though touch and go it got a little weird.  Anyway, something I need to get used to it helped.

Afterward went next door for open gym and did a bit of skill work – Steph and I have plans to be awesome…

I did
3 x 5 ring dips with the yellow band,
then
3x5 jumping muscle up transitions on the rings

Got some good feedback from Rhys on the jumping MU’s too – getting my head through and into a dip rather than trying to just straight into the locked out position.  Helped and started to feel like a MU would.  Baby steps.

Rolled out for a while and gossiped with Mikey and Shaun while waiting for the torrential downpour to stop – at least it eventually died down.

No comments:

Post a Comment