Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Importance of Rest

Sometimes you just have to listen to your body.  This morning I was supposed to go out in my surfski for a paddle - but I was tired.  I could feel it throughout my bones yesterday and knew that I'd benefit more from a day of rest.  I slept in, it was beautiful - the first time all week.  I took the pressure off of myself to 'DO' anything today and just enjoyed the simplicity and easiness.  A day to relax.

I remember about 10 years ago when I was on the go with everything - I was rock climbing 2-3 times a week, playing flag (american) football on weekends and soccer with a team from work.  I was dragonboating 3 times a week and on weekends that I wasn't away for football.  There was the occasional gym session or some beach volleyball.  Anything, I was always on the go.   I was loving it all but it was pretty non-stop and nothing was going to stop me.  Until my body did...

I broke a finger playing football - yes, just a finger (my left ring finger to be exact) - but it's amazing how much just one finger can sideline you.  I couldn't climb, football was out as was paddling, beach volleyball and the gym.  I could run sure but I was never a runner.  And while there were a few runs I wasn't happy about it.  As I watched my casted forearm atrophy it gave me time to adjust mentally to my new found situation, my new life.  To take a look at where I was and what I was doing.  It made me accept that everything does in fact happen for a reason - it slowed me down - allowed my body time to rest - allowed my mind to gain perspective - everything is good but moderation is necessary - REST is necessary. 

Rest.  If you don't find the time something will find it for you.  Something will knock you off course to ensure that you get that recovery.  Listen to your body and allow yourself an extra sleep in or an afternoon nap - perhaps even a walk in the park rather than an all out run on the beach, or a day to stretch rather than press.  You'll come out ahead in the end just taking a small step back.  A slight pause.  Rest is important.  Necessary.  Rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment