Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pull-up Fun... last nights WOD's

WOD #1
Tabata sit-ups
Total = 96

Consistently had 12 each round (20 seconds) - Jack had challenged me earlier in the day to beat his time and I knew I wouldn't on WOD #2 so I tried to beat him on #1 and #3.  Simple, silly and effective motivation. 

WOD #2
12, 9, 6, 3, 6, 9, 12
Pull-ups
Push-ups
Box jumps
Burpees
14:47

My shoulder felt good yesterday which was good given the 57(!) pull-ups and push-ups in this WOD.  I initially went for a combination of the blue and red bands but that felt a bit easy so I decided I'd at least start with blue/orange and then move to blue/red if necessary (it wasn't necessary).  Rocked the pull-ups tonight with just blue/orange which was an awesome feeling. For some reason this was the easiest (and most fun) part of the WOD for me.  Strange.

The push-ups also were good - I did them from my knees mostly because I could feel my shoulder was a bit unhappy with them but did them all without breaks - a new improvement.  It was amusing after the first few rounds as I was getting tired how I'd finish the pull-ups and step down off the box and literally fall flat onto the floor for the push-ups.  Heh.

I did the box jumps Rx at 20" and managed to "jump" all but about 3 or 4 of them throughout which is a big plus as I usually have a lot  more step ups.  It was only a few weeks ago that I did the DU/box jump WOD and did mostly step-ups instead of jumps.  Improvements galore today - I like it.

The burpees killed me!  Killed.  These were by far the worst.  I struggled with every.single.one.  I find that any movement where I have to push my entire body up off the floor is horrible.  An incentive to lose these extra pounds I'm carrying (which to be honest are disappearing anyway from crossfit already). 

WOD #3
100 sit-ups for time
2:53

Given that I'd done 96 in the first WOD in 4 minutes time (actually, looking at it now it was only 2:40 of 'working' time) in my head I figured it'd be close to 4 minutes to complete 100.  Jack's time was again my focus as I wanted to beat him where I could (his time was 3:53).  Started strong and consistent - I typically keep a steady pace for sit-ups and don't need to rest which helps - finished the first 10 just under 20 seconds, 33 just under a minute so I knew I could hopefully be just under 3 minutes at this point - it was all about the mind games, focusing on the reps and times to forget about the ache in my abs.  One solid set of 100 - at the end the pain wasn't in my abs so much as it was still in my arms and lungs from WOD #2.

Was a good night especially since I wasn't feeling great when I got there - too little sleep the night before and just feeling a little off.  Nice to get it done though - and also to work out with Shonelle for a change - see her often but don't ever work out at the same time!  Thanks for the encouragement Shonelle!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment