Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Nagging Injuries and Last Nights WOD

Last week I was struggling with my right shoulder - it's just really tight - through my neck and my pecs - I can't get comfortable to sleep or sit.  I need a really good massage as the trigger point massaging I'm doing just isn't getting into it enough - scheduled for Friday!  I was feeling better after having 4 days of shoulder rest but that all changed again last night.

A quick catch-up:
Saturday WOD - barefoot running clinic with Cody from the Running Clinic. Gave some interesting theory and changes to our run strides which I'll have to work out.  There is a ton of information out there that I'm not even going to try and capture here as it's all so new to me.

Sunday - too windy for surfski so it was a nice relaxing day - a good REST day.

Monday WOD's: 

WOD #1
5 rounds for time -
35 double-unders/105 single-unders
200m run
12:39

More double unders - my favorite... I wasn't fast on this - stumbled a lot on the DU's but *did* the DU's so improvement still. 

WOD #2
Max reps in 3 minutes of hanging cleans (30/45kg)
Rest 3 mins
45 (18kg/ 40lbs)  

WOD #3
Max reps of pull-ups
Rest 3 mins
26  (blue and red bands)

WOD #4
1 attempt max thrusters (30/45kg)

16 (18kg/ 40lbs)

Started to struggle on the pullups - started to feel my shoulder tightening up in the hanging cleans and it only got worse on the pullups.  I tried to use a lighter weight/ more bands but that wasn't enough.  I only managed 1 pullup in the final minute because I didn't want an injury that would sideline me for longer - it was a weird mental place to be in.

Mentally today was a challenge - not in how to push harder but how to pull back/ stop.  In Crossfit we are challenged mentally day in and day out to just keep pushing - another deep breath and a few more reps - repeat.  And it works.  We learn that we can do it - that our barriers are well beyond where we perceive them to be and we break them. Another rep, another step, another round - no quit - no standing around watching, just keep moving. 

So when your body NEEDS you to stop - when the round isn't finished, or there's one last rep or another minute of time - when you're faced with all that AND you still NEED to stop - it messes with your head.  And the hardest part is that you're the only one who knows what's going on - in your head - your body.  It's not sometime easy to explain but you just know - you NEED to stop.  A huge difference between WANTING to stop.  NEEDING to.  NEED to - to prevent injury, to keep from doing more harm.  A battle.  I knew full well last night that a few more pullups weren't going to be as good for me as stopping, and so I stood there, for the longest minute and rode it out.  It wasn't easy but it was needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment