Thursday, September 15, 2011

Last nights WOD didn't have a name but she was Nasty...

Like the title describes... last night's WOD was nasty.  I'd say it was like Claudia only a little bit worse (maybe I'll call it a tie)....

WOD #1
Deadlift – 3, 3, 3, 3
30kg, 40kg, 50kg, 55kg

This was (surprisingly) my first time doing deadlifts in a WOD.  I started light - not bad for a first go. 

WOD #2 - aka Nasty
3 rounds for time (cut-off of 25 minutes)
50 double-unders
400m run
30 KB circles (24/32kg)
20 KB swings
10 KB SDHP
22:13 - 16kg KB and all DU's (for.the.first.time!!!)

NASTY!  That is the only answer here. Part of it came from the fact that this was the first WOD that I did full DU's (more details in a separate post).  Struggling through the 50 DU's was challenging - then to follow that up with what I dislike the most - RUNNING - not much recovery - I was slow but got through it (which some days is all you can ask for).  The circles were good but the swings hurt.  I was still hurting from Monday's WOD which really worked my shoulders so I felt the swings more than usual (and I typically LOVE KB swings).  I could only bang out 5 at a time but got through them.  The SDHP were mental more than anything - with only 10 reps you didn't want to put the KB down even though the last few were tough!

It was a funny workout - I was in a completely different mental space when I arrived at the box.  Jack tried to convince me to workout at 5:15 instead of 6 as Vicky was on her own but I just couldn't do it.  I needed to stretch and more than anything get into the right frame of mind.  It was probably the first day (ever!) that I didn't have that excitement of crossfit - I still wanted to get there but I was in a grumpy mood (though Crossfit helped that!).

Tim was coaching us and was the same awesomely cheerful guy he usually is but for some reason today this wasn't helping me - at least not in the first few rounds.  I had to concentrate so hard on the DU's that any encouragement was distracting and on the swings it was almost a little frustrating but I was breathing too hard and hurting too bad to say anything.  Mentally, all I did was turn the frustration into getting through the reps faster - maybe it did help after all.  It's funny too because in talking with Jack afterwards we both had the same comment about it - that some days you just want to be left alone to get through it... I can't say why as part of my love of Crossfit is that community factor but today - just wasn't working for me.

What did really work - intentional or not - was when I was starting my last set of DU's... Tim changed the music - I saw him walking over and I KNEW what he was about to put on - Linkin Park - my music of choice every.single.time.  I'm not sure if it was meant for me or not but I just assumed it was and *that* inspired me to push through the DU's.  And the rest of the KB's.  Tim counted down for my last 10 SDHP and that was good, needed - it's funny isn't it - timing.

I was the last one to finish but I knew this pretty much from the start - but I was excited to finish the WOD with all DU's.  Halfway through the second set I considered going to SU's but didn't.  Figured that I'd rather be last and challenge myself - make another leap.

So... another skill added - last week it was handstand pushups (though not yet in a WOD) and this week it was DU's.  I only wonder what the next weeks will bring.   

Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment