Friday, September 16, 2011

This morning was just what I needed...

Sometimes things have a funny way of being just what you need when you need them.  This morning was one of those days.

My right shoulder has been hurting me this week - lots of shoulder stuff and skipping - it's actually woken me up a few nights with intense aching.  Not fun.  Sleeping is difficult.  So this morning I was hoping there wasn't much lifting or pullups or shoulder work as I knew I'd need to scale back if there was (and I struggle with this - need to learn to listen to my body all.the.time - but that's another post).

There were no weights this morning.  It was just what I needed after struggling to drag my butt out of bed (morning workouts will never be easy for me).

WOD #1
Tabata Plank 

Managed to do the whole thing on my toes though towards the end it was a struggle more for my shoulder than my core. 

WOD #2
AMRAP - 7 minutes
DU's (again!)
On the minute, every minute, complete 7 air squats and 5 push-ups
150 reps (count only DU's)

I am now own DU's.  Not even a thought to do SU's anymore.  I figured if I could just get 15 DU's every minute I'd easily hit 100 reps.  I smashed it with 150!!!  The first set I pumped out 25 DU's in a row!  Doubling my previous best from Wednesday of 13.  Win!  Not sure I'll continue the trend of doubling my PR every time but I'll keep on trying.  I'm starting to enjoy DU's - if only we could get back to the WOD's that have 10-20 of them per round instead!

WOD #3
250m row
400m run
250 SU's
100 Situps
8:32

Was strong through the row - I know how long it'll take mentally so I can go hard for that short burst of time - finished in 58 seconds(!) - run took a bit longer as it always does for me (one pace, slow and steady) - approx. 2:20.  Then on to SU's.  I tripped up at 20 reps then pushed through the rest in one go - concentrate, steady - felt good (took about 2 minutes I think).  Situps - steady pace, kept at it through the objections of my abs and did it in one go (approx. 3:15).  Final time 8:32

I am noticing that my run times are slowly coming down - maybe today it had something to do with the sunshine (rather than darkness) that gave me a little extra spring in my step.  When I was training for the half marathon I always had a pretty consistent pace of 6:10-6:20 min/km.   And I am always pretty consistent no matter the distance - one speed only.  Extrapolating today's 400m run to 1km would mean I'm running closer to a 5:50min/km (obvious approximation but an indication that my time *is* coming down).

And also - new shoes! Yay!



No comments:

Post a Comment