Friday, June 1, 2012

6/1 - Primal Throwdown Training Session #2

Coach Match had indicated that tonight's training would be all about "mind games" and it definitely was.

When we arrived we saw this:

Blurry due to shaking hands






















After our warm up we were presented with the following:

Yup, still shaking






















We didn't know anything else about the WODs except the pairings and the weights/heights/distance/standards.  I'm registered in the intermediate division so I was using a 30.5kg barbell, doing 3x single unders (would rather do DU's), squat jumps, 24" box jumps (woo-hoo - have been practicing these) and running 250m.

Here's what we did:

This was Tash's scoreboard - I needed a cheat sheet






















So clearly that all makes sense right?  Ha!  I just finished doing it and I'm not sure I can remember it all.  Let me try.

We were paired up so one person was working while the other was judging/counting but there was really no rest in between other than switching around/tightening collars/ etc.

Epic WOD
1 min cut-off
8-6-4
thrusters
jump squats
1 min cut-off
250m run
1 min cut-off
7-5-3
pushpress
push up (hand release)
1 min cut-off
run
1 min cut-off
6-4-2
burpees
box jumps
1 min cut-off
3-2-1
OHS
3x single unders
1:30 min cut-off
4-3-2
front squat
snatch
1:30 min cut-off
6-5-4
sit-ups
hang cleans
1 min cut-off
run
2 min cut-off
2 rounds
7 pull-ups
7 cleans
2 min cut-off
6-5-4
clean and press
bar hops (every over is one rep)


Total score = 7 (only completed rounds got a point - bold WODs are the ones I completed)

A little unclear on when specifically we went up to 1:30 cut-off and 2 minute cut-offs, it didn't matter it was all hard.  Initially when we weren't completing the first few WODs (no one finished the first one but there was at least one person who completed each one thereafter) I knew that Coach Match was just f--king with us because it's mentally tough to move on to the next WOD knowing you just put a ton of effort into the previous one and didn't finish it.  It truly does mess with your head and if you don't believe me just try it one day.

I almost quit entirely after the pull-ups/cleans WOD, truly I did.  I did not want to do any more.  My body was tired, my legs were on fire and I wanted it all to be over.  I kept going anyway.  The press portion of the clean and presses were painful on my quads - I needed them to get the bar overhead but they were most definitely on fire.  Ouch.  I was happy though to make it through and believe me, I worked for every point that I got - there was no place to relax on any of these WODs and you might look at them and think that they're all pretty easy (low reps/ short duration) but when you stack them all up - especially when you have only a minute or two rest and sometimes less as all but the last runs were done all at the same time it really starts to add up to a long and evil WOD.

After(partner)WOD
first person runs (250m for Intermediate again)
complete a total of 50 ground to overhead
second person runs
7:17

The other caveat with this WOD was that the person who ran first had to do the first ground to overhead rep and the person running last had to do the last rep, otherwise they could be broken up however you wanted to.

All of my reps were power snatches.  Knowing that my quads were done for the day and that the snatch would be my most efficient movement I kept with it - most of my reps were touch and go again in sets of 5 though I did bust out 8 somewhere in the middle.  It was good.  I do love snatching when I don't have to reach a full squat.  I did 28 reps and felt really good about it.  The olympic lifting has paid off by giving me solid technique so that when I'm working at a lighter weight I can be efficient in the movement and bust out higher reps. 

I'm done now - totally destroyed/tired/achy/exhausted.  Tomorrow will be another rest day.  I do need it along with possibly another ice bath - I'm not sure however that the ocean is cold enough to do the job.  We'll see.  Sunday is another day to meet Tim and others at the park for some more fun WODs - that being said it's Tim's turn to make up the WOD so it might be evil... haha.

Also, ordered a 7kg med ball today since my work gave me a gift certificate to a sports shop as a "leaving" present.  Sweet!  The 6kg balls were back ordered so I got a 7kg which will only make me stronger in the long run - aim to overachieve!  Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment