Wednesday, June 13, 2012

6/12 - DU loving, real world avoiding...

Went in early to do a little bit of practice stuff with the boys and I spent time working on both HSPU's and wall balls.  Coach Match taught me a new way to work on strength for HSPU's - from a handstand position against the wall take one hand off the floor and (quickly!) touch the same shoulder - repeat on opposite sides.  I managed to get up to 5 consecutive reps before I'd fall off the wall.  It was very challenging but I can also see how it would help with both HSPU's and handstand walks.

Following that I did a little WOD.

WOD 1
5 rounds
5 HSPU's (hands on green plates to ab mat)
5 wall balls (7kg to 9ft)
8:56

This one quickly tired out my shoulders.  By the last round I was doing single reps of the HSPU's.  The wall balls were the easy part for me so that's saying something.

Skills
Double-under practice

Strength
5 x 5 snatch-grip deadlift
40-50-60-65

WOD 2
7 min AMRAP
30 double-unders
10 one-arm KB swings
10 KB push-ups
1 KB shuttle run
18 (16kg KB)

Score was one point for every completed task so total 4 points per round.  I managed to quickly get the DU's and KB swings completed (just) in the last 45ish seconds.  I was really happy with the 5 rounds of DU's as I managed to go unbroken on the 30 every round.  The KB swings were unbroken with me solely focused on not ripping my hands.  I did ring rows instead of the pushups as anything to "crunchy" is still causing me some pain in my shoulders.  The shuttle run was more of a shuffle though I think that helped with my being able to solidly do the DU's.

WOD 3
50-40-30-20-10 DU's
10 toes to bar in between each set
9:30ish

Thought about doing "Annie" but can still vividly remember the lingering pain of the situps from last time so I decided to throw something else in the middle (and I wasn't doing 150 t2b) so this worked out quite well.  I did the first three t2b on the rings which was fun but super hard to string any together so I jumped on the bar.  By the last set I was fighting the pain in my hands to finish out the reps (why are my hands so dainty?).  Ugh.  The DU's were solid I think I only tripped up once on the 50 and 40's and the rest went unbroken which makes me happy.

And yes, I did three WODs today... I realized that it's my way of avoiding the real world as my time in the box (or on my surfski or SUP) are the only true times when my focus is solely on what I'm doing and not on the rest of what's happening it my life.  I guess there are worse ways to deal with silly boy issues and unemployment - at least it's a healthy addiction.  Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment