Friday, June 29, 2012

6/29 - Running "Jackie"

Strength/Skills
Tabata ab mat sit-ups (12)
Beat Swings

Managed a consistent 12 reps for all rounds of the ab mat sit-ups while slowly and painfully removing skin from my butt.  I thought it was just the zipper at the back of my lululemon shorts that was the cause but it turns out it's actually the combination of the ab mat and my butt as I was wearing my compression tights today.  Guess I need to use (if I can remember) a yoga mat underneath rather than lying directly on the rubber mats of the box.  Made it through though my shower might sting a little.

Beat swings were good - great to practice but I was being careful with my hands as we had many more pull-ups again today.

WOD
Running "Jackie"
1000m run
50 Thrusters (18/28kg)
30 pull-ups
12:27 Rx

Our box only has two rowers so rather than doing Jackie with a 1000m row we ran it instead.  I was pretty slow on the run but was okay with it given that it's still my "rest" week and I haven't been backing off that much as we've been doing a lot of body weight/ skill work rather than anything heavy this week.

The thrusters were relatively light but the high number of reps was still tough.  My legs were surprisingly fresh for the squat portion but the push overhead really hurt.  My arms are still super tired.  I got through it though in pretty solid sets.  I did 10 and then rested in the rack position before doing another 5.  Then another 10 and then sets of 7, 6, 6, 6 or thereabouts.

I started with 3 pull-ups on the old bar and then chalked up and realized we were all pretty tight on the bars so jumped over to the lower new bar and really liked it.  For some reason it wasn't as tough on my hands and managed to do sets of 3 instead of my usual two without worrying any more about my hands than usual.  Once again managed to not tear them so I was happy.  Also quite impressed that I had the strength to get through all 30 without a band after the 75 reps last night.  Definite progress.

Taking a break this weekend from WOD-ing.  Will hopefully get out on my surfski and/or SUP for a light paddle.  Also, ordered a set of rings for my trip home next month so for any of my paddling friends reading this - they'll be at the gorge if you want to play/ do a bit of a WOD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment