Friday, June 1, 2012

5/30 - double workout day...

Even after the three day pains from "Abmat Annie" I managed to convince Tim to do a WOD in the park with me this morning (he's not that hard to convince, he's a training machine these days).  This time I got to make up the WOD and it was a long one.  He typically prefers the shorter, intense WODs but I haven't done a good chipper in a while and so it went...

Morning Partner WOD

tower climb to start and between each round (each person does 1 at the same time)
reps must be equally split between partners but broken down however you want
20 HSPU's
40 pistols
60 burpees
80 sit-ups
100 squats
80 sit-ups
60 burpees
40 pistols
20 HSPU's
33:29

There is a rope climbing structure in the park here in Freo that was our "tower climb".  It's funny because throughout the WOD we did 10 of them and while they physically weren't that hard I still found it a bit confusing to work through the ropes to the top - there was never one set path that emerged each time.  Fun though - quite a change up.

We worked well together and it was a lot of fun - we both climbed the tower at the same time but otherwise alternated working on the different movements.  The HSPU's (against a tree) were broken into sets of 5 each (I didn't quite get full movement but Tim rocked them).  The pistols were in sets of 10 each and by the second round I was getting much better on them (even without lifting shoes).  They started to feel really good and for most reps I was getting full depth.

The burpees sucked - I hated myself for programming them in but as they say - you have to work on weaknesses/ skills you strongly dislike.  The first time we did alternating sets of 10 and on the way down I was trying to convince Tim to do sets of 5 each (he went first) but instead of doing 5 or as I then thought 10, he did 15!!!  Evil... so we ended up doing two sets each of 15 reps.  It's my own fault really I guess.  Ugh.  At least it wasn't a 7 minute AMRAP... could always be worse!

The situps were broken into two sets of 20 and weren't too bad (we've had abmat practice!).  The squats were my downfall.  Serious pain - my quads were screaming and the following tower climb was a challenge (I think it's the one that I did a bit of 'butt' climbing).  Not sure how I'm going to survive the next WOD tonight (leaving shortly) as I know there are front squats (21-15-9 front squats/burpees/pull-ups... uh-oh).

It was a fun morning WOD followed by coffees and good conversation first with Tim and Jess and then with another crossfit (and mining industry) friend Melanie.  Perfect day... um, ya, if only someone would just hand me a job.  Ooops, need to get on that!

Evening WOD
21-15-9
front squats (30kg)
burpees
pull-ups
13:59 Rx

This hurt.  That's about all I can really say.  Though the front squats were "light" my quads were still screaming.  I broke up all the sets - 11-10, 10-5 and 5-4 - though on the last set and in the 10 reps on the second round I rested in the rack position which was pretty good.  I'd take a few deep breathes before squatting again.  I kept steady on the burpees - just moving through and I thought of Tim on the round of 15 - I pictured him waiting for me to finish so he could do another set of 15 like it was for the morning WOD and that pushed me harder (it's true, half of crossfit is a mental game for sure).  The pull-ups were mostly on my fingertips so that I didn't rip my hands and I think this put more of the strength aspect into my biceps.  I still only do 1 or 2 reps at a time but I'll get more eventually.

Rest day Thursday... yippee!!!  It's been well earned.

Front Squats in the background - Source


No comments:

Post a Comment