Monday, June 25, 2012

6/23 - Primal Throwdown 2012 - Day 1

Breaking this down into two parts otherwise it's likely to be a long and wordy read...

WOD 1
run 1km
then in 60 seconds complete a max clean then AMRAP double unders.
4:05 run, 50kg clean, 40 DUs

Placed 25th on the run and 6th on the clean/DU's.

I was really happy and surprised with my 1km run.  The only reference I have for this is when I was training for a half marathon about a year and a half ago and I was pretty consistent at about 6:15min/km so to come in over 2 minutes faster than that was huge.  I didn't sprint at the end because I knew the clean was coming but I stayed steady throughout and definitely pushed myself. 

I went straight to the 50kg bar knowing I could make this.  My max squat clean is 57.5kg and that's during a lifting session and not with a high heart rate so I didn't even attempt 60kg (there was no in between weights).  Given my focus on this portion I was able to start my DUs quickly and managed to go unbroken until I was out of time.  The 40 reps made a huge difference to my placing - 18 people cleaned 50kg but the tie breaker was the DU's and this placed me second in those that had cleaned 50kg. 

WOD 2 
agility course (1:30 cut-off)
V-sprint
balance beam
box jump overs
zig zag sprint
bean bag toss (5 tries)
46 secs -5 sec bonus = 41 secs

Placed 6th.

I enjoyed this one but there is something odd about starting face down on a WOD - it's a bit disorienting.  I made it through all the obstacles on the first try and was glad I got at least 1 bean bag in the pail which gave me 5 seconds off my time.  The difference between 41 seconds and 46 seconds was 16 places for the WOD and 5 places overall for the first two so it was much needed.

WOD 3 
7 min AMRAP ladder
60kg deadlift, 2 reps
10kg OH plate carry (about 10-15m)
increase deadlifts by 2 reps each round
56 deadlifts (completed the round of 14s)

Tied with 10 others for 12th place on this one.

For the plate carry you had to take both the clip and the plate off of your bar and put it back on each time - it got quite frustrating as my plate kept sticking half way onto the bar and it seemed was the case throughout the day and wasn't just my ineptness.  My back was dead by the end and promptly tightened right up after it was over.  When they made the announcement that WOD 4 was a definite go it was a little disheartening but you do what you gotta do and thankfully we had Kathy there to fix us all up and she got me going again for the next one.

I was in round 1 for WOD 3 and sitting in 5th place going into it which made it nerve racking watching the other scores slowly trickle in.  I didn't really think much of making day 2 (only top 10 made the cut) but at this point in the day it was within reach and I didn't want to blow it, I suddenly really did want it. 

WOD 4 
2 x 2 min AMRAP
10kg plate chest to overhead
pistols
51 + 27 = 78

I was quite happy when this one was announced as Tim and I have been doing a lot of pistols lately in our part WODs because they are challenging but also a very good skill to have when they do come up.  It was awesome that they didn't scale them for the intermediate division but rather rewarded those that could do them for their ability to do them (as would be the case on day two throughout all the WODs).

The chest to overhead was harder than you'd expect.  I completed the first 20 reps pretty steadily but wasn't using my legs very much which was a brutal mistake.  Should have started using them from the get go.  Was happy to get 51 reps.  The rule was that if your plate rested anywhere other than locked out overhead or against your chest you were done so that added a bit more pressure on things.

I was steady with the pistols.  I didn't go too fast through them but I also didn't miss a rep either which I was happy with.

Once again it was a matter of waiting for scores to trickle in to see how I did.  I came 19th on this WOD and fell two spots to 7th on the day but still within top 10 which meant I got to do it all again the following day... my body was exhausted and sore.  I came home, ate, had a hot shower, did some stretching and was in bed and asleep my 8:30.  Thankfully I was so tired that I slept much better than Friday night and was fairly rested when my alarm went off at 6am again on Sunday.

Overall it was a great day - great organization by Southern Crossfit and all the volunteers.  A great turn out by Cooee athletes and supporters as well.

Day two coming... as are some photos when I can get my hands on some - I didn't take any of my own.  Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment