Sunday, June 17, 2012

6/14 - Endurance WOD...

Knew today was going to be long and tough when I came in and saw this on the board:

WOD:
1 mile run
150 double-unders
50 burpees
800m run
100 double-unders
35 burpees
400m run
50 double-unders
20 burpees
31:57 Rx

Was really quite happy with getting through it fairly steadily.  Initially I thought that the first mile would take me between 9-10 minutes - when I was training for my half marathon about a year and a half ago I was pretty steady at a 10 min/mile pace (or slightly higher) so I figured given that I'm in better shape from crossfit and it was only 1 mile I'd be slightly faster.  I really underestimated my improvements - I came in at 8:02 and I wasn't even sprinting hard because I knew I was going into 150 DU's (I was tired but not exhausted).

I was pretty solid on the first bunch of DU's getting somewhere around 40 or so on the first set and then throughout the entire WOD getting solid bunches of 15-25 each go.  I would take a few extra breathes when I tripped up preferring to get solid sets instead of rushing into it and continually tripping up.  I remember clearly after each run hearing Coach Match telling us to get right on the rope and bust out 10 or 15 reps and I'd laugh at him in my head thinking that was a low estimate that I was aiming for greater than 20... hah!

The burpees were all mental.  It took will to just keep moving throughout.  I remember on the set of 35 that going into it I was going to do 7 sets of 5 and then once I got into it I decided on 5 sets of 7.  Once I hit the first 7 reps I figured out I was close enough to 10 and then didn't know what to do with the extra 5 I'd have at the end so did 15 reps straight out.  It's amazing how much further the body can go beyond what the mind wants to or thinks it's capable of.  On the last 20 Vicki came over and since I knew she was watching I knew I couldn't stop so I pushed through them all at once.

I felt quite accomplished having pushed through this WOD but I was so happy when it was over.   

No comments:

Post a Comment