Sunday, June 10, 2012

6/10 - 3 WOD Sunday...

Fun day with the boys doing a few WODs...  woke up dark and early at about 7am and heard the rain and wind... it was pretty miserable out but I got out of bed knowing that there were probably going to be people showing up.  Got a text from Tim that asked if I was going however it seemed to imply that he was happy enough to stay in his warm bed but that soon changed with a text from Vini as well saying he was still heading down.  So, a little late but we all still managed to show up for a Sunday WOD at Cott...

Given the conditions we were just going to go for a beach run but with us all being different speeds we changed that to some beach sprints to warm up. 


WOD 1
5 x
10 second sprint
50 second rest
then
2 rounds
30 seconds on/ 30 seconds rest
hspu's (scaled to pushups if necessary)
L-sit hold
strict pullups (didn't want anyone falling off today)
then
tabata squats/pistols

This was fun - not a ton of hard work but some time to work on skills which is always a good thing.  The beach sprints were hard but I was happy to be able to keep closer to the boys by the end.  HSPU's were hard and when I get my head fully to the ground I can't actually push back up but I'm working on it.  I think in the 30 seconds I'd get about 6 or 7 reps.  I managed a set of 5 strict at one point too which was awesome - too hard to kip on the slight hill/ against the sign.

GOT MY FIRST EVER STRICT PULL-UP!!! I didn't even want to try kipping after last week and I made a comment about not being able to do one strict and then gave it a try and it worked.  It was slow but as long as I focused on tightening everything up before the first pull it would work.  That being said I really only got 1 rep on the first 30 seconds (plus a half that I couldn't finish off) and then I got 2 on the second go round.  Progress.  I'm so happy about this accomplishment.

Pistols are starting to feel better and I like that we're working on them so much (and without lifting shoes as well). 

We finished up with coffee and then everyone went there own way with plans to meet up 1.5 hours later to do some hill sprints and a pool WOD.


WOD 2 (as a team)
Staggered start
3 rounds
Hill sprint (tags second person)
Rest
KB swings (16kg)
skipping
squat/med ball toss (7kg uphill)
approx. 35 minutes for us all to finish

There were 5 of us so we staggered the start with the first person (me) doing a hill sprint and then once I was back at the bottom I tagged Tim who then started and we progressed through the movements.  While Tim did his run I got to rest and then when he was finished I started KB swings, he rested and Adam sprinted.  The intervals for each movement were however long it took the person running to get to the top and back down so it was fun. 

The hill was wicked... and hard.  There was a powerline near the top that seemed like it'd be easy going after you got to that point but it was actually the opposite - that last 50m or so was a leg burner and coming back down wasn't too easy either especially with the burning lungs.  Knowing that there was rest after it though was a good thing as was only doing it three times.

The KB swings got hard - it was about 1:30ish of swinging so there was some moments where you had to put the KB down because forearms were pumped.  Some of the boys did KB snatches.

I did single unders for the skipping as my heart rate was still pretty high plus the wind was insane.  Some boys did DU's - they're more badass than me.  Adam was the brains behind the squat/med ball throw combo and it was hard - squatting on a hill and then trying to throw up was tough and then you had to sprint up in order to get the ball before it rolled right back to where you were.  Fun though and something new.  Three rounds of that and we were all quite warm and ready for some pool time...

WOD 3
3 rounds
swim as far underwater as you could then sprint to other side (33m pool)
wall walk across ledge
swim back to other side
wall walk across ledge
untimed

This was really hard for me as I am not a strong swimmer at all but as Vini said - it's crossfit, you have to work on your weaknesses... and that's why I didn't give up even though I was lapped by both Adam and Vini and took forever (or so it felt) to finish.

The wall walks are where you push up on the edge of the pool like you're going to get out and then walk your hands across from one end to the other of the pool ledge - it was the easy part for me.  My swimming was ugly but I didn't drown and didn't stop - I also did the third round even as Adam finished (he was done before I was half done my second go) and Vini was about to finish his last swim.  My arms got super tired on the swims though that probably also had a lot to do with the fact that it was WOD 3 of the day.  Fun times especially sitting in the 'hot spring' at the end - though smelly (sulphur).  Good way to spend a poor weather day.  Thanks boys!

Adam skips, Mark rests, Tim tosses med ball and Vini snatches KB (I'm done)

Post WOD dorks...

Go Vini

Adam trying to get the med ball before it rolls back down the hill



The evil hill for sprints - finish was the farthest power line

No comments:

Post a Comment