Tuesday, June 19, 2012

6/18 - taking it easy?

Today was the start of taper week before the comp.  I've switched up my training to Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday with the intent of taking Thursday and Friday off.  I have a massage booked for Thursday as well which I'm looking forward to.

My plan seemed pretty straight forward (always the case really) but in reality it turned out much different.  I got to the box early as I knew Tim and Jack would be there.  It was Jack's first day back after 6 months in Canada so I had to see him and when Tim stated that they were about to do Diane I couldn't say no (it should be obvious by now that I can never say no to extra WODs with the boys).

WOD 1
'Diane'
21-15-9
Deadlifts
HSPU
10:12

I scaled the workout as I think it's generally 70kg deadlifts for women and obviously HSPU's to the ground but I didn't want to destroy my legs so I did 50kg and since I can't do HSPU's to the ground (yet) I did them with my hands on the 10kg plates down to an abmat which is about 6cm difference.

I was quite happy with this.  I smashed the deadlifts which made sense given the light weight and was fairly consistent on the hspu's.  The first round I did 5's and 4's then it was pretty much down to sets of 3 and then 2's by the last round.  My kip is getting better as well - it's more vertical than frog legged though if I try and get it straight up I tend to fall off the wall.

I enjoyed this and cheering on the boys after I'd finished was great - they were working so hard it was inspiring.

Strength
5 x 3 shoulder press
20-25-30-32.5(f)

I didn't pay too much attention to the workout so doing strict shoulder presses after Diane was quite hard.  I managed 2 reps at 32.5kg but that was all I had.  I know I'll have more if I don't do 45 hspu's for a warm up.  Tim laughed at me for this - I deserved it.

WOD 2
3 rounds -
12 pull-ups
9 hand release push-ups
6 OHS (30/45kg)
Note:  start with 400m run, then 300m run after first set, 200m run after second set and 100m run after third set
12:13 Rx

This was a struggle but I got through it.  I struggled most with the pull-ups doing mostly sets of 2's with a few sets of 3 in the early round and some singles by the end.  Kipping just kills my hands which is mostly my problem.  Need to get better at this somehow or get new hands, not sure which is the easier option.  I'm happy though to be doing them Rx now.

The push-ups were tiring but I managed to do all the rounds with at most 1 break in the set which I was happy with.  The OHS's were okay, definitely a struggle by the 5th and 6th reps but I wasn't putting the bar down on this one - all rounds were straight sets which was awesome.  Also, isn't there something completely satisfying about dropping the bar from overhead?  I used to hate it but there are times when it's just needed (but not always Tim!)

It was definitely a good day but I'm going to hurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment