Wednesday, February 22, 2012

2/22 - "Rest Day" SUP Session...

Today was a rest day because last night was heavy and tomorrow the is the first Crossfit Games Open WOD but I couldn't pass up an early morning SUP (stand-up paddling) session even though it came with a 6am price tag.  I met Gordo a fellow crossfitter (and kind person who organized a fun trial SUP session for our Crossfit box last weekend) just before 6am as the sun was rising and we jumped on the boards. A few minutes in friends of his were coming our way and we were off - the four of us.  And it was outstanding.  We did a warm up paddle from Bicton Baths to the sand bar and as I pulled up behind the boys it was a stunning site - two SUP-ers standing on their boards in shadow as the sun was rising beyond them.  Magic.

On the way back we picked it up a bit - though I only got faster due to a few tips from Gordo rather than any power application I think.  Moving forward on the board really helped in the flat water - kept my nose from bouncy across the water and allowed for a smoother glide.  About half way back I switched paddles with Gordo as his was longer and this helped me get the blade fully buried before the pull phase - definitely need to figure out what paddle length is best for me. 

Was a perfect little session even though my shoulders are now screaming and so tired but completely worth it.  I think I found (another) new love...

No comments:

Post a Comment