Friday, February 3, 2012

Primal Days 1 & 2 recap

So to recap - since it is now day 3 of this primal challenge - I seem to have *finally* gotten past the caffeine withdrawal headache that struck me late in the afternoon on the first day sans caffeine and lasted until I woke up this morning. 

Day 1
I ate the same foods as I usually would for breakfast and lunch but couldn't stop thinking about coffee all day even though I didn't feel the need for it (more that I couldn't have it) until about 4pm when the headache hit.  That sucked.  I also noticed that even though the food that I had with me at work was the same as it was every other day for a while I felt hungrier and after a bit of reflection I feel that it wasn't necessarily because I was actually hungry but rather in my mind I new all these specific foods were 'off-limits' and so I wanted more.  Things that I wouldn't typically go near or ever want were in the front of my mind solely because I couldn't have them.  Having recognized this mind trick however really helped.

Went to crossfit this night and was worried given the state of my headache even with the large amount of water I'd consumed all day but got ready to do it anyway and surprisingly - throughout the WOD I didn't notice my headache at all - sweet!  It did however promptly return once I'd finished.  I was still feeling hungry so I planned my meal on my drive home - quick stop at the store and I was set.

Coconut coated chicken breast cooked in macadamia nut oil with baby broccoli - Yum!  I wouldn't have been so creative otherwise so I enjoyed this change up.

Went to bed with my book about 9pm and was asleep by 9:30.  I was hoping for a good nights rest with the lack of caffeine but alas that was not to be.  Worst.sleep.ever.  I woke at 11:15, 12:50 and again around 3:30 before my alarm harshly sounded at me at 6:30. 

Day 2
After the worst night of sleep I really, really, really wanted a coffee but no, must be strong.  And I was even through the barely open eyeballs and raging headache.  Water is my friend.  Again, I had almost an identical meal for breakfast and lunch (including snacks) as the previous day and I found I wasn't as hungry at all.  I have realized however that it's dangerous having a jar of almond butter in my desk drawer.  Moderation.

I drank a lot of water and didn't eat as much as the previous day and yet wasn't famished by the time I got home from work (rest day).  I was however barely able to keep my eyes open and so I decided I deserved a nap - in to bed before 6pm and um, that was it.  Slept most of the night with a few bathroom breaks through out.  Guess I really needed it.  I didn't however have dinner because of sleeping though surprisingly I didn't wake up any hungrier than normal.  Win.

As noted above, I seem to have finally also kicked the caffeine withdrawal headache.  So happy about that though I'm really craving a nice, warm, comforting coffee and it's dreary and grey outside - I'm holding out.  I'm fully in this, playing the mental game.

So there's the recap - was planning on doing one yesterday but with the headache and sluggishness and inability to keep my eyes open I didn't even want to think about it but I'm already feeling better today -maybe because it's friday?  We'll see what challenges the weekend has in store - next update not until Monday or Tuesday (day 6 or 7)

No comments:

Post a Comment