Wednesday, February 8, 2012

2/7 - shoulder work...

Strength 
5-5-5-5 push press
18-23-28-33(PR)

Was good to do some more push presses - my previous PR of 28kg came back in early October so it was nice to know that I could break that.  Coach Pete went through the movement with us again before this and his comment on tucking in your abs/ engaging your core and glutes was really helpful as you can feel the additional power you get when you do that - it really came in handy in the WOD... 

WOD
5 rounds
5 strict pull-ups
10 push presses (30/45kg)
15 push-ups
20 sit-ups
18:11 (Rx, orange band for pull-ups)

I was really, really, happy to use only the orange band for the strict pull-ups.  I had a red band on standby but never used it even when I was doing 2 reps max on the last round.  It was determination and indication that I am getting stronger.  So happy with it.

I was a bit skeptical of Rx-ing on the push presses seeing as it's just 3kg under my (new) PR but decided to give it a go accepting that I might be slower because of it.  The first round I did 10 consecutive but then after I think I did 6-4 each round - glad to have that one extra rep in the first half as towards the end I was struggling to lock out overhead on that last (4th) rep (noticing more weakness in my right arm than my left - oddly)

The push-ups were really hard after the pull-ups and presses - painfully hard.  I mostly did sets of 5 for all the rounds from my knees - yes, I really need to get off my knees but today was not the day - not after how my shoulders burned.

The sit-ups were a nice reprieve - the "rest" from killing my shoulders.

I did it and I was so happy afterwards even though it was an insane struggle in the middle - as I knew it would be.  Thanks for the coaching Pete - your small little voice always provides the required encouragement and precisely the right time.

1 comment:

  1. ahhahah small little voice! he's gonna love that one!u mean his big manly voice right? ;)
    great job on the constant pr's! consistency is paying off, and wow gotta say 2.3kg in a week is a top effort! wait till the end of the challenge.. should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete