Thursday, February 9, 2012

Paleo - Creative in the Kitchen

So last night I had some leftover almond meal (from the almond milk making) and was on the verge of creating more (more milk) so I was struggling for a creative use for it and limited to solely what was in my pantry - and also avoiding anything with chocolate or cocoa (though I know these are not off limits - I'm just not eating them for now).  So I started towards something that would resemble my banana bread recipe and involved me adding the almond meal and some coconut flour into a bowl and mixing that up when the texture started to remind me of one of my other favorite recipes - Eagle Brand Squares - so I went with a play on that and created a concoction of Coconut-Almond Cookies.  They are fluffy and sweet enough and quite tasty though if I were to do this again (yes) I would not use the coconut flour.

Original Recipe - Eagle Brand Squares
1-1/3 cup graham crumbs
1-1/3 cup coconut
1/3 cup melted butter
enough chocolate chips (I never know the exact amount, just go by the mixture)

Mix all of the above together in a bowl
Add one can of condensed milk (Eagle Brand - hence the name)
Mix, spread into a 9x9 pan and bake at 350°F until brown on top

These are crazy addictive - so good and so easy.  So I was excited to try something similar.

Paleo Coconut Almond Cookies
(all quantities are approximate*)
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup coconut flour (wouldn't use next time)
1 cup coconut
3 tablespoons macadamia nut oil
1 cup coconut milk (enough to hold the mixture together)
2 tablespoons honey

Mix all together, roll into balls and flatten onto cookie sheet.  Bake.

I baked them at about 180°C for about 20 or so minutes - basically until they were golden brown as in the photo below.  They are a light sweet treat and I'm sure I'll make them again - I just had two with my lunch and I really wish I'd packed more - yum!

What favorite recipe of yours have you made paleo/primal friendly?

The Result

















*This is how I typically bake - approximations rather than exact measurements - I know this drives some people crazy but I'm a chemical engineer it's how I work...

No comments:

Post a Comment