Monday, February 27, 2012

2/26 - Sunday SUP Session... downwind!

Summary
SUP
8.5km down winder - Port Beach to Swanbourne
~40 minutes

Yesterday the wind was forecast to blow and blow it did... 8-23kn from the S/SW with a reasonable swell.  14 of us gathered at Port Beach for a downwinder to Swanbourne - approx. 8.5km.  Thanks a ton to Stimo for bring a board for me to borrow even though I fearfully eyed the whitecaps building before my eyes.  I knew full well that I could do this in an outrigger but I wasn't so sure of my balance standing on a board.  I was nervous but thankfully I was surrounded by many lovely and encouraging people of various skill level and I knew I would be okay.  It was great to have such a big group.  The more experienced boys did a bit of an upwind slog to the groyne while the rest of us paddled straight out (as much as possible) and then turned down wind.

It took me a little bit to find my balance with the wind chop and the swells, I fell off pretty early on and the board flipped over - I struggled trying to figure out how to flip it back when it blew over on it's own (and landed above me).  Thankfully I didn't panic and just swam  under it so I was on upwind from it making it easier to get back onto (using the lift of the waves).  It was then that I realized that I could use most (if not all) of my outrigger experience on this downwinder.

It was a lot of paddling on the right side - most of it actually just to keep from getting pushed into shore.  I got pretty comfortable though and even braced a few times or shifted my feet to keep my balance.  One time I tried intentionally to jump back a bit on the board (trying to play around with where my feet should be) and got dumped in but I was back up in no time - the water was warm and it was easy to remount so I was never worried - well only when the helicopter was overhead but I quickly dismissed those fears.

I got some sweet rides on the waves but struggled a bit to connect as I didn't have a rudder I could steer with my feet (benefits of being in an outrigger) but still it was good.  I got on one super steep wave and was riding it with my paddle ready to brace/ slow me down as I knew if my noes poked into the back of the wave in front of me I'd get thrown pretty far with the sudden stop.  Thankfully I was good and I had the biggest smile on my face after that.

It was a little crazy paddling through the million of kite boarders off of south Cott but after that it was pretty smooth as we turned toward shore a bit more to finish at Swannie.  Unfortunately for me however there is a HUGE (understatement!) shore break at Swannie and I fell off and couldn't get back on just before it - I was starting to get but couldn't get moving fast enough when suddenly I heard Stimo yelling 'Look out!'.  I had enough time to shoulder check, realize there was a wall of white wash behind me before being pulled under.  Having experienced this before surfing I knew I was going to get pummeled and I didn't panic as I got pushed back under again before surfacing.  As I was underwater my instincts kicked in as well as I furiously gripped my paddle (Never let go of your paddle!) and a couple of boys were there to catch me once I was upright and grab the board.  Not the most graceful exit but nothing was harmed.  I did however lose my Queen Lili visor though which wasn't to be found - another sacrifice to the paddling Gods.

It was a great experience.  Driving back along the shore I was quite impressed by the water conditions - if you'd pointed it out and told me to go paddle there was no way I'd even consider it but I did do it and it was amazing.  I only fell off 3 times in the 8.5km and finished it in about 40 minutes.  Stimo paddled to the groyne first so I had a head start but he said he couldn't catch me even though he was trying really hard.  I can't wait to do it again... I've found a new sport to love!

Thanks Stimo for arranging a board to borrow and for loaning me your paddle.  Thanks to Loch for doing the head count and making sure we all had a good plan heading out and thanks to Sal for paddling alongside me for part of the way and giving me pointers and encouragement, it was all appreciated.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment